Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Parents' Page

Hand Shake


The Walker County School System is attempting to locate students with disabilities to ensure that all children within their jurisdiction, birth to twenty-one, regardless of the severity of their disability, and who need special education and related services are identified, located, and evaluated. Call (205) 387-0555 Ext. 1013 for more information.   You may also follow the link to see Alabama's State Department of Education Child Findflyer.


The Alabama State Department of Education-Special Education Services (SES) has developed a new video podcast, Parent Partners in Special Education, designed specifically to help parents better understand special education concepts, processes, and procedural safeguards. The ALSDE video podcast is also available under the Parent Quick Links tab.


If you are transferring to another public education agency in the State of Alabama, your child’s special education records (IEP, etc.) will be electronically sent to that district through the state-wide student database coordinated by the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE).  Once you enroll your child in another district and they place them in their student database, that district will receive a notice that the student’s records are available to them through ALSDE. 

If you are transferring to an out-of-state school, special education records do not transfer electronically and you will be responsible for sharing any important information with the receiving school.  The determination of your child’s placement and evaluation of his/her records will be determined based on the policies and procedures of the state in which you will be residing.  We will forward the student records to the new school when we receive a request for records from the school district. 

The confidentiality of the records will be maintained according to federal regulations, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) 34 CFR Part 99 and state regulations, the Alabama Administrative Code 290-8-9(2)(e).