The purpose of this title is to provide grants to state educational agencies, local educational agencies, state agencies for higher education and eligible partnerships in order to:
- Increase the student academic achievement through strategies such as improving teacher and principal quality and increasing the number of highly qualified teachers in the classroom and highly qualified principals and assistant principals in schools.
- Hold local educational agencies and schools accountable for improvements in student academic achievement.
All activities under Title II are based on a needs assessment for professional development and hiring. Funds will be used to:
- recruit and hire highly qualified teachers to reduce class size
- promote retention of highly qualified teachers by implementing a teacher mentoring program
- provide professional activities that improve the knowledge of teachers and principals and , in appropriate cases, paraprofessionals