About Curry Middle School
Curry Middle School is located on a thirty acre tract of land in northeast Walker County, eleven miles north of Jasper on Highway 257. It was originally established before 1920 as a two-room community school. The original structure burned, but classrooms were rebuilt and opened for occupancy for grades one through nine in the fall of 1921. Curry schools were named for Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry, an American statesman and educator who worked for sixty years to make education possible for all children in the South. In 1925, Curry became an accredited school with only eleven grades being taught at that time. In 1962, new facilities were built for the high school, leaving the original structure for the elementary school. In 1985, enrollment had increased to a point that a middle school was needed. It was built and now houses grades six through eight. The new middle school structure is comprised of eleven classrooms. An addition to the school was made in 1990. This added new bathrooms and one new classroom as well as a lounge and work area for the faculty.
Curry receives students from all around the Curry area. The 21,000-acre Smith Lake is located two and one-half miles from the school and is a growing area in population. With current enrollment at Curry Middle School at 442, Curry Middle School serves students in grades six through eight.
CMS currently has four classes each in six through eighth grade. Advanced classes are offered to seventh and eighth grade math students based on grades, parent request, and the desire of the student. A computer lab is available to all students and computers are available to students in the media center. All computers are connected to the internet.
Extra-curricular activities include: beginning band, Beta Club, and First Priority. Students participate on academic teams through Quiz Bowl and Spelling Bee. Our athletics consist of volleyball, girls and boys seventh and eight grade basketball teams, Jr. High baseball and softball.