Cordova Elementary School strives to be the preferred primary school by producing responsible, self-motivated, confident, and productive students.
Cordova Elementary School Beliefs
The mission of Cordova Elementary is to provide a safe, nurturing child-centered environment which enable students to reach their individual potentials through quality, researched-based instruction.
1. All children can learn, achieve, and succeed.
2. Cooperation among administration, faculty, staff, students, and stakeholders is necessary to foster success in the school environments.
3. Each student is a valued individual with unique intellectual, physical, social, and emotional needs that must be met and challenged.
4. A safe, comfortable and well-disciplined school climate enhances student learning.
5. Developmentally appropriate researched based activities which encourage students to become effective problem solvers.
6. A variety of researched based teaching strategies and the use of technology is used to meet the individual needs of students.
7. Children should be given opportunities, not only to develop academic growth, but also to express creativity.
8. Character education instills pride, self-esteem, and builds positive relationships.
9. Instilling high-expectations, principles of responsibility, self-discipline, and respect for self and others will help produce contributing members of society.
10. Celebrate the differences in children.
Awards and Recognitions
Cordova Elementary School has been on the Superintendentís ďAĒ or "B" Honor Roll for the past five years. Our faculty and staff are the best. We collaborate to find the best solutions for our students and do our best to include students so they can strive for excellence.
Cordova Elementary became accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (S.A.C.S.) during the school year of 2002-2003.
More About Our School
Cordova Elementary School is located on North Street in Cordova overlooking the Bankhead Middle School and Cordova High School campuses. Our school, built in the 1950ís, has expanded to include a kindergarten wing, a new gymnasium/auditorium, and a new classroom wing. These additions have helped Cordova Elementary achieve our goal of providing a more individualized education by lowering the student-teacher ratio. The pavillion beside the gymnasium is our most recent addition and was constructed with help from teachers, parents, businesses, and many members of our community.
Parents and Partners
Our Partner in Education is Carl Cannon Chevrolet. The Partners in Education program links businesses and organizations with schools to develop relationships that enhance student learning and promote school improvement. Carl Cannon Chevrolet supports various activities throughout the year, as well as working closely with our faculty and staff to help meet the needs of our school community.
We have Partnered with Cordova High School to implement a Peer Mentoring Program. Through this program, peer mentors are matched with students who are in need of remediation in Math and/or Reading.
The Cordova P.T.O. works closely with our school. This group sponsors many of our parent outreach activities like the Muffins for Moms and Donuts for Dads breakfast each year. They also coordinate most of our school fundraisers throughout the year and play an active role in distributing those funds to best reach our school's needs. P.T.O. provided the funds for our school to purchase an AED Defibrillator, books for our library, and much needed furniture for our classrooms. We are very fortunate to have such a fine group of parents who are dedicated to improving our school.
We will continue to publish the school newsletter The Core. This is written by Mrs. Williams and provides information about what is happening at school.